Friday, June 14, 2013

Part 3 Lost in Lima



Lost in Lima continued...

When our check came it was about 150 sols for all the food and drinks. Because one American dollar is about 2.75 Peruvian dollars, this check was extremely cheap to us. We paid our tab and decided to walk around to a local café to have drinks and dessert. The walk was exciting. We were slightly lost for a while but our genius friend Ivo had a map, imagine that! After he studied the map for a few minutes he looked up and said. “Dos cuadras mas!” as he pointed in the direction of the coast. The entire group stopped and stared at him knowing he was teasing us because of our complications earlier that evening. Before we knew it laughter broke out between all of us for so long my sides began to ache and my face hurt from smiling so hard. We walked to a small shopping center right on the coast where we could see the water and enjoy great company. We stopped at a café and ordered coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. We also indulged in a little Peruvian tres leches, as well as a chocolate dessert. Cups and plates were passed around as if it were thanksgiving, everyone trying a little bit of everything. Ivo entertained us with stories of his travels and life back in Colombia. It is safe to say he developed a “fan club” with us, being that we were so interested in his accomplishments. Ivo informed us that he was not only a chef, but the dean of his university, and that he would be here until Friday taking classes. The group enjoyed our treats and relaxed for a while, not wanting the night to end. We had to check out of the hotel in Lima at 8am and it was almost midnight when we left the café. Having learned our lesson, we caught a cab to take us back to the hotel. We each hugged Ivo good bye and wished him a safe journey home, then all five of us climbed into a small cab. Four of us were in the back seat, Professor Saldana, Felicia, Jesus, and myself, but it took less than five minutes to get us back home. Go figure. We all laughed and joked about the night as we spilled out onto the sidewalk and drug ourselves up the stairs to the lobby. There was one of us staying on every floor so each time the elevator stopped you could hear a symphony of, “good night!” “Buenas noches!” “Sleep tight!” “See you tomorrow!”. Finally, on the fifth floor it was my turn to get off. Professor Saldana and Sonya each wished me a good night and I walked to my room, alone for the first time in hours. It was so quiet I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to sleep. Thankfully my fellow classmate and roommate at the hotel Crystal was still awake when I walked in and I was able to share with her the crazy night we had before getting some sleep.  I checked my Facebook just before going to bed to let my mom and friends know I was okay and that I would be flying to Cusco in the morning. Waiting for me there was a message from Ivo that read, “I made it back to my hotel safely, good night.” I am so grateful for the night we spent in Lima. The adventure was not only exciting it was a learning experience for us all, and a chance to prove to myself that I can do it. I can explore this new country, I can try new things, I can meet new people, and most of all I can get lost in Lima and live to tell the tale. ;)
Sonya, Jesus, Ivo/Colombiano, Felicia, Kristina, Lili Saldana

No comments:

Post a Comment