Friday, June 14, 2013

Altitude Sickness



Altitude sickness
                As I walked out of the airport in Cusco I expected to see a family holding a sign with my name. I had communicated with la familia Carrera Yupanqui (my host family) many times via Facebook so I knew I would recognize either Ana or Eduardo. Instead all I found waiting for me was two unfamiliar faces holding a white sign that read UTSA. So, I walked over to them to see where my family was. Paola and Franko, the USIL coordinators, introduced themselves and explained there were too many of us to have our families pick us up here, and that we would be dropped off closer to our homes. I will admit I was a little disappointed to have to wait longer to finally meet the Yupanqui family, but I was excited to finally be in Cusco, Peru. We loaded the bus and placed our baggage accordingly so that the first to be dropped off had their bags easily accessible. My suitcases were placed on top of the bus so I wasn’t sure exactly what that meant. I could be the last to be dropped off and that’s why they didn’t want my luggage in the way, or I could be the first; there was no way of knowing. We took a short drive away from the airport and Paola and Franko gave a short explanation of the altitude sickness we would most likely experience. “You won’t feel anything at first” they explained, “because there is still enough oxygen already in you.” But we were told this would wear off within the hour, and that we needed to rest and drink coca tea. Soon we were in a neighborhood full of beautiful houses and apartments. We came to a stop next to a park where a group of adults stood talking to one another. Eventually I was close enough to realize one of the men standing there was Eduardo! I jumped with excitement and began to gather my things; this was my stop. He greeted me warmly as soon as I climbed from the bus and pictures were taken of everyone together. A taxi driver grabbed my luggage and placed it into his car and Eduardo announced, “Okay I am leaving with my temporary daughter!” as we walked away from the bus. He asked me about the trip and about Lima, and last but not least asked if I was feeling okay. I told him I was feeling fine, but he assured me that wouldn’t last. We made a quick drive to the house where Eduardo showed me around and I met Diego, their son, and Hilda, their nanny. Ana and Alonso were not home, but Hilda served me sopa con pollo y papas, and it was amazing. Eduardo insisted I eat this light meal, then lie down and rest. “You must rest or you will not feel better,” he said, “Drink lots of water and let Hilda know if there is anything you need”, and with that, he left back to work. Although Diego does not talk, or understand English, he held my hand and led me through the house. I was mesmerized by the view from their home! Mountains and city lights and beautiful landscapes, it was truly phenomenal.  Before long I began to feel dizzy. My head began to ache and I felt tired and weak. I informed Hilda that I was going to rest but it took a little more convincing for Diego to leave my side. I wasn’t bothered by his company though. In the United States I am a nanny for a family of seven so I was even relieved at the familiarity of the situation. Diego gave me a kiss and left me to sleep so I closed the door and climbed under the blankets.  By this time the room was spinning and I felt absolutely terrible; Eduardo wasn’t kidding. I drank the water that was placed in my room and turned my phone on to text my mom. I told her I wasn’t connected to WIFI yet because Eduardo had left to work and I needed the password from him. I also turned on the mobile phone the university provided for me, but couldn’t figure out anything on it because it was in Spanish. I fell asleep fast thankfully and woke up about an hour later. I made the mistake of standing straight up from the bed way too fast and nearly fainted. I crept out of my room but didn’t see anyone home. I felt awful, the room was still spinning my head was still hurting and I was sure if I didn’t lie down soon I would’ve thrown up. I crawled back into bed and fell back asleep for another couple of hours. When I awoke, I could hear voices. I heard Ana get home from in my room and decided it was a good time to get moving. It didn’t take long for Ana to see the condition I was in. She brought me an oxygen inhaler and some coca tea, that I drank eagerly hoping to feel better soon. I also met Alonso and the boys played in my room while I unpacked. I was surprised to see that Alonso spoke some English, he even sang “If you’re happy and you know it” to me. Soon I was feeling a little better and Ana brought some food into my room. I will have to get the name and the recipe later, because I am already craving it again. The best way I can describe it is a small fried pastry filled with cheese and dipped in a creamy avocado dip. OOF! Haha, it was so good. She told me to stay in bed and relax and sleep as much as possible. I’ve been in Cusco for over ten hours now and I still feel a little unwell, but hopefully by the time I wake up tomorrow all will be fine. Eventually I figured out how to change the cell phone I was given to English, and I was able to talk to my dad. Unfortunately, it charges whoever is on the American end of the conversation 3$ a minute to talk to me! So we only spoke for a few short minutes. I am anxiously awaiting Eduardo’s arrival back home so I can connect to Wi-Fi and iMessage my mom, but until then, I’m going back to sleep!
Buenas noches!!


The view from our living room!


No comments:

Post a Comment